Thursday 17 November 2011

Being away. Again

Almost a whole year ago, I posted this, about being away from my family.

Since then, well I've been 'away' for 9 months of the past 13.  Or 9 of Marisca's 18-and-a-half.  "Away" doesn't always mean 5 days and 4 nights a week, but it tends to mean that at the moment.

Marisca is a totally different proposition now than she was before, and reflecting on that post, it was all about grabbing the time when she woke in the night as a tiny bit of connection.  Now, if I'm at home after bedtime, she sleeps until morning - and always after I've left if I'm going to Dublin or London.  The move North has made it possible, when I'm in the Leeds office, to have both breakfast and bedtime at home, so I do miss out on that when I'm not there.

That said, I do miss her a lot, and it's becoming clearer that she misses me too: the smile that I get on a Saturday morning, or how she runs over to me and launches into a cuddle, are different than the ones I get at the end of a weekend when she's used to having me around.  We try and make Saturday a day with lots of opportunity for the two of us, which also give Elspeth some time off - it's not exactly ideal for her to be a single mum during the week.  Elspeth does send me occasional photos which send me a little wibbly, like this one from today.  Marisca in classic pose, having (I am sure) climbed up there with her book, and being in the middle of burbling her way through it.  That's one leopard, with spots to point out, by the way.

My time in Dublin should be coming to an end soon, so.  Fingers crossed the next project is closer to home.


No comments:

Post a Comment