Monday 16 April 2012

The first peak

I'm intending to walk the (Yorkshire) 3 peaks this summer.  By myself - I don't think I could manage it with Marisca on my back and I don't think she'd enjoy being there for 12 hours.

As it's less than an hour from home, we're doing some of our weekend walks up there so I get to know the route.  A few weeks ago we drove up in brilliant sunshine to climb Pen Y Gent, until we turned into the Dales, where the mist descended.  We quite often climb hills where we can't see the top for the cloud, but that day we couldn't even see the bottom for the cloud.  We sat in the cafe for a while and came home.  

Saturday was more successful, but only marginally.  I have on my camera a photo of a dubious-looking Marisca when we say the snow on the ground, but we plodded off anyway.  However, despite 5 layers of clothing and a bomb shelter (her rainproof cover) she let us know in increasingly audible terms that she wasn't enjoying it, when we were barely halfway up the flank of the hill.  In the end we decided that Elspeth would head back to the car (and cafe) with Risky while I finished off the hill.  It's a shame they weren't with me as the swirling snow showers in the spring sunshine was really nice.

It was cold.  Although Risky was wrapped up it's hard to tell how cold she found it.  I hope it was that rather than a new dislike of the backpack: I really like us going for walks as a family and the backpack is the only way we can access some of the countryside that we like.  We need to do some tests.

1 comment: