Saturday 24 November 2012

Day 1


Day 1 for Thomas was relatively short. At 3:30 in the afternoon we were in the local ice cream shop when the first contraction hit. By 5:30 we were in the hospital, having got emergency cover for Marisca from the neighbours while my parents drove down to look after her overnight. Everything happened rather quickly, and by 6:45 I was in 'second stage' and allowed to push. 9 minutes later Thomas arrived, a bit squashed from his rapid journey, but absolutely fine. 

The hospital staff were all brilliant: calm, confident and friendly, and very happy to leave us alone with Thomas to give him lots of cuddles and get to know him. Eventually, at 11 pm Tim left to go home to say hello to my parents and be there for Marisca in the morning. Thomas and I headed up to the ward for the night with hopes of leaving the next morning. That didn't quite happen (paediatric checks are frustrating, but have to be done...) and we eventually got home just after 6 pm the next day.

Of course comparisons with last time are inevitable. This time round I discovered the joys of gas and air - awesome for helping me through the contractions! This time round the ward was quieter and the staff very willing to help, especially with getting feeding established. This time round the food was about the same, but I was allowed to eat at my bed with Thomas beside me, rather than leaving him behind and having to sit in the dining room. So overall a positive experience, though not one I want to repeat for a while! 

No comments:

Post a Comment