Sunday 11 August 2013

The swimming pool and the beach

On Sunday we went off to the beach as the last of the wedding festivities.  I didn't take my camera, so you'll have to believe me that it was beautiful, with a gentle breeze and baking sun, cool shallow shelving water, and more-than-reasonable pizza at lunch.  After initial nervousness Marisca quickly got into the swing of running about in the sea, although wasn't particularly accomplished at playing Flintstones.  The beach wasn't quite right for large waterworks either: that'll have to wait for a different place (and a slightly cooler season, I think).

As well as the trip to the beach we had the pleasure of a sculpted pool at the 'country hotel' (Marisca's term).  With a shallow paddling end, enough space for a few lazy strokes for me while Marisca runs around admiring her footprints and Tom dibbles at the edge, and loungers in the shade, it was a great spot, utilised every day we were there.  Both children enjoyed it, and Tom is so great at sitting now that he was really happy splashing about in the paddling bit.  I note that the photo below is mid-splash, rather than the start of a dive into the pool.


Marisca enjoyed swimming with either Elspeth or me, and on the last day got enough confidence to swim most of the length of the deep part of the pool without parental support.  What an adventurous girl she's becoming.



And the best bit?  Marisca and Tom entertaining each other.  I love how much fun Marisca is having here and how happy Tom is to enjoy her enjoyment.  What a pair.


No comments:

Post a Comment